The Fall newsletter of the Ohio chapter of Foster Care Alumni of America is now available...
(Please click on the box on the far right to view at full-size)
Sunday, July 25, 2010
Tuesday, July 20, 2010
Ohio Department of Job and Family Services' Office of Families and Children (OFC) has been awarded a federal grant to develop a new model for how the state works with the many stakeholders that support Ohio's child protection system.
Over the next three and a half years, the Office will be working in partnership with the Midwest Child Welfare Implementation Center to design and implement this model. An important part of this work is the formation of an Advisory Committee: Partners for Ohio's Families.
The Ohio chapter of Foster Care Alumni of America is proud to be a part of this committee as a voting member.
Wednesday, July 14, 2010
- The Ohio chapter of Foster Care Alumni of America is proud to volunteer as primary adult facilitator of the Overcoming Hurdles in Ohio statewide foster care youth advisory board.
- We greatly appreciate the support that ODJFS, PCSAO, OHILA, OACCA, OCWTP, county children services agencies and the Supreme Court of Ohio have provided, and continue to provide Ohio foster care youth.
- Recently, Adrian McLemore wrote an article titled: "Honoring Our Beginnings," in which he expressed gratitude and appreciation on behalf of Ohio's foster care youth for the support that the Ohio YAB has received since its inception.
- Now, more than ever, with tight budgets and limited resources, Ohio's emancipating foster care youth NEED support, empowerment and preparation!
Thursday, July 8, 2010
YOUTH/ALUMNI PANEL• July 28, Foster care panel for Capital Law School ICWI in Columbus
• Aug. 4, Adoptee panel for Capital Law School ICWI in Columbus
FALL CONFERENCES• Aug. 11, Southwest Independent Living Summit in Cincinnati
• Sept. 24, Judicial College video teleconference in Columbus
• Oct. 2, Youth Panel at Ohio CASA conference in Columbus
• Oct. 29, Northeast Independent Living Summit in Canton
FUTURE STATE ADVOCACY OPPORTUNITIES• Ready to Launch: Ohio Gubernatorial Campaigns
• State budget: Promote use of WIA and ODE funds for transitional foster youth
• OACCA compilation of potential ODJFS budget areas that might be at-risk
• OCOG funds (Demos/Policy Matters Ohio)
OHIO BUDGET PLANNING AND MANAGEMENT COMMISSION• This budget committee is tasked with understanding the magnitude of the budget deficit and to discuss general strategies.
• Some of the committee members will be on the House and Senate budget committee in 2011.
• It’s important that committee members are informed about the importance of funding for foster youth.
• Foster care youth and alumni will need to arrange meetings with individual committee members.