Friday, February 21, 2020
Tuesday, February 18, 2020
As published in the Columbus Dispatch on February 15, 2020, page 10B, Section: Editorial and Opinion, Column: Letters to the Editor:
The OHIO Youth Advisory Board and ACTION Ohio serve as the statewide voices of foster care youth and alumni. We read over the Initial Findings Report by the Governor’s Office of Children Services Transformation with interest.
We are deeply grateful to Gov. Mike DeWine for the continued commitment he demonstrates in caring about foster youth and elevating the voices of youth and alumni by including our voices in these initiatives.
Testimony by our members during the recent foster care forums reflected the top three priorities that we as the firsthand consumers of foster care have identified: the creation of Foster Youth Ombudsman’s Office, better independent living and normalcy practices, and preserving sibling connections.
These priorities directly impact the immediate experiences, long-term outcomes and emotional well-being of young people.
As the council works toward making its final recommendations, it is our hope that all who bear this great responsibility continue to uphold the work that Governor DeWine has long championed — ensuring that voices of youth and alumni are not overlooked.
Lisa Dickson, Westerville
P.S. One sentence was omitted by the paper for brevity, but I think it’s important, so I’m adding it here:
The definition of “transformation” is a thorough and dramatic change. We believe in Ohio’s capability to achieve metamorphosis and move beyond business as usual.
Sunday, February 9, 2020
|Link to more photos|
In 2020, Ohio will be facilitating multiple trips to DC in order to continue to support and celebrate FYI vouchers, and to seek to #BringFSHOHome
Our February trip included:
- Meeting with Heather Zenone, Senior Policy Director for Representative Karen Bass of the Congressional Caucus on Foster Youth
- Dinner with Chris Patterson, Regional Administrator at U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Region IX
- Meeting at HUD Headquarters with Danielle Bastarache, Director of HUD’s Housing Choice Voucher program, and others
- Meetings with Senator Sherrod Brown (D-OH), Senator Rob Portman (R-OH), Senator Mike Crapo (Idaho) and Senator Chuck Grassley (Iowa) who introduced the Senate version of the Fostering Stable Housing Opportunities Act
- Meeting with the National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials
- Participation in the 2nd annual National Association of Realtors Conference
- Participation in an Open House at the national headquarters of the Children’s Defense Fund
Please visit this link to learn more about the history of the Fostering Stable Housing Opportunities Act.
We welcome foster care youth, alumni and allies from throughout the nation to take the time to write letters of support to your U.S. Senator and sign the online petition for this national opportunity.