On Monday, November 30, 2020, some of the architects of the Foster Youth to Independence (FYI) initiative from ACTION Ohio, and young people who are currently participating in the program from Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Maryland, Ohio and Oklahoma, met with HUD Secretary Ben Carson for a conversation about the incredible impact of this program!
In the words of Ruth Ann White of the National Center for Housing and Child Welfare:
- HUD FYI Lead Chris Patterson was there to support his brothers and sisters of the foster care system.
- Jamole Callahan facilitated the event, birthday girl, Doris Edelmann held down the fort, and Lisa Dickson, who was hard at work was missed, but she trained us well!
- A huge thank you to Adaora Onuora, April Mcmullen, Love Williams, Eshawn Peterson, Tony Parsons, Tatyana Rozhnova, Violet Ramunni, Allison Rettker Pearce, Betsy Dodd Farmer, and Cloé Cooper.
- The Lorain County Team of youth was amazing and very articulate.
- It was wonderful to have author and advocate Alexis Black there to support the event as well!